Athenree Homestead Trust Inc., formed in 1996, when the vision of restoring a rare and historic settler homestead became a reality, since then 'Athenree' has been partially bought back to its former glory days of the 1870's. It's an ongoing project with some major hurdles still to be overcome. The house was built by Capt. Hugh & Mrs Adela Stewart in 1878, who with their 9 year old son travelled on the sailing ship 'Lady Jocelyn' to New Zealand, to help form the only planned Irish settlement in the world. The preservation of such a building is paramount to our national history and particularly future generations.
We at the Athenree Trust are a committed group of volunteers who work tirelessly towards the completion of the restoration of the homestead, outbuildings and gardens. Back in 1878 when the house was built by pioneers Hugh & Adela Stewart it became a pivotal part of the community and Adela kept the community spirits high with social events, dances and church services. We like to think that these spirited occasions will re-occur in the future and when complete the vision for 'Athenree Park' as a major tourist and historical education facility, will enhance the already beautiful surroundings of Athenree.
The Athenree Railway Station Function Centre is now able to be hired for events like workshops , committee meetings and birthdays including the covered verandah area it is able to cater for 50 seated people. Please contact Trish Coates for more information email
Open 10am - 4pm to the public on the first Sunday of the month
and every Sunday in January and February.